Don’t ignore the dragon

 



It was during one of the prime lockdown days of the Covid times that I heard a reference to this story while listening to a podcast by Jordan Peterson. And recently, I found this storybook in one of the bookstores. This is a kid’s story that has gently stuck with me like a tattoo.

The title of the story is “There's No Such Thing as a Dragon” by Jack Kent. The storybook has impactful colors and simple language.

The story goes like this-

One fine morning a young boy named Billy Bixee awakens in his room to find a small dragon, "about the size of a kitten," in his bedroom. Billy has never seen a dragon before and, as any child would be, he is curious about the new visitor and pats its head. But when Billy goes downstairs and tells his mother about the dragon, she says “there’s no such thing as a dragon”. Confused, Billy returns to his room and trusting his mother’s judgment ignores the dragon’s bid for a pat on the head. After all, there’s no sense putting something that doesn’t exist.

Over time, the dragon starts to grow. He gets as big as a dog and then as big as Billy’s mother. He starts to create havoc around the house and make a mess. But Billy’s mother continues to deny it exists.

Eventually, the dragon grows so big that it overwhelms the house. One day a bakery truck drives down the road near the house and the dragon follows it…with the house on its back!

It is only when Billy’s father returns home, discovers the house has been moved and asks “what happened?” that Billy is finally able to say “it was the dragon.” And his mother concedes.

As the family acknowledges the dragon, it starts to shrink. Finally, it returns to kitten size, which Billy’s mom admits isn’t so bad. The story ends with little Billy remarking, “I think it just wanted to be noticed.”

Even dragons want to be noticed!


I love this book.

The small book contains the big “lessons” for us all.

The foremost lesson is - We must not ignore the dragons in our lives else they will keep growing bigger and bigger until they destabilize our lives and the lives of near and dear ones. Acknowledging and validating the dragons (aka problems, struggles, and /or worries) is necessary to keep them kitten-sized.

The second lesson learned (which I occasionally tell my kids when they refuse or try to run away from their huge homework lessons) is - We must confront, act and finally address the issues and shrink them to a manageable size.

Third lesson (after deep rethinking) - Let's be responsible for the impermanence of this life. There lies importance in the daily moments of our lives. Because if the dragon seems huge, it is with an accurate plan and decision at the moment, we can make the dragon go away or shrink to kitten size so that we can move to the next phase of life. Rendering the same thoughts in vicious circles and re-living the redundant life is never going to bring any dramatic change in life.

The fourth one- Let's always search for one new dragon because it may be a life-altering opportunity in the guise of a threat. You never know that you can ride on the dragon and touch the skies and cross the limits of oceans beyond our thinking. A life with dragons and meaning is better than one without.

Your thoughts!!!
.
.
.
.
.

(1ooth blog post)

Comments

  1. Dear Ekta,
    Wow, a very good read about dragon in our lives. Means a lot and your lesson learnt are quite practical. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for motivational words. Keep reading the blog posts.

      Delete
  2. I feel like sharing a good read with you,


    A beautiful poem by Mário de Andrade, Brazil

    "My Soul Is In A Hurry."

    I counted my years and realized that I have less time to live than the time I have lived so far.
    I have more past than future.
    I feel like that boy who had a bowl of cherries. At first, he gobbled them, but when he realized there were only few left, he began to taste them intensely.
    I no longer have time to deal with mediocrity.
    I do not want to be in meetings where flamed egos parade.
    I am bothered by the envious, who seek to discredit the most able, to usurp their places, coveting their seats, talent, achievements and luck.
    I do not have time for endless conversations,
    useless discussions about the lives of others who are not part of mine.
    I no longer have the time to handle or manage the sensitivities of people who, despite their chronological age, are immature.
    I hate to confront those who struggle for power, and those who do not debate the content, just the labels.
    My time has become scarce to debate labels. I want the inner essence.
    My soul is in a hurry.
    Not many cherries in my bowl.
    I want to live close to people who are "human" - humans who laugh at their own weaknesses; and away from those became smug and overconfident with their triumphs, and
    away from those filled with self-importance.
    The essentials are what make life worthwhile. And for me, the essentials are more than enough!
    Yes, I’m in a hurry. I’m in a hurry to live with the intensity that only maturity can give.
    I do not intend to waste any of the remaining cherries.
    I am sure they will be exquisite, much more than those eaten so far.
    My goal is to reach the end satisfied and at peace with my loved ones, and my conscience.
    As said by Confucius: “We have two lives.
    The second begins when you realize you only have one.”


    Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wao. This is so good.
      Thank you for sharing. Keep reading the blog post.

      Delete
  3. Nice one 👍🏻

    Keep posting. Happy 💯 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Nice Ekta 👍.Keep Blogging .Happy 💯 th .I read ur blog 1st time but liked it and would love to read the earlier ones .

    Keep sharing 👍.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment.

      Keep reading the blog posts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks. Keep reading. And keep sharing

Popular posts from this blog

Who is She?

One Month

Self-Story 2023