I am Thankful



Being Grateful

These difficult times have shown me many harsh truths about life and people. Among many such heartfelt revelations is- Our minuscule and uncertain tenure on earth. This "mortality" funda, read in many books, is now becoming a daily visual in the form of the untimely death of young as well as old blood, the tearful eyes, the breaking of many dreams, the collapse of happy families.

I marvel at what more a person can do with the remaining breath rather than being grateful to the almighty and the other earthlings.

I am grateful... from the biggest things like the unadulterated love of my family, the never-ending support of friends, the incessant dedication of the medical system ...to the smallest unnoticed things like ceaseless electricity supply, the roof on my head, the fully functional body, the ocean of knowledge in form of books, and what in the world... I am even grateful for my ability to read and write!!

If the notion is put in this, these are barely a few good stuff to name from many good facets in our lives. These good aspects add value to life. I am grateful to them.

Let me share a small incident from my life. This anecdote seeks to highlight the unexpected kindness that I once received from a stranger.

I concretely recollect that blazing hot day in Mumbai. That was my first ever visit to Mumbai about 8 years back. I was on an official tour. When the office task was over, I thought of heading out instantly to the hotel as I had a flight to catch in 5 hours. Outside the office building, it was a deserted afternoon. I was waiting for a taxi or auto-rickshaw for half an hour and yet had no luck in finding a ride.

And I was in a near-panic attack because firstly, I had no inkling of the route to the hotel and secondly, my mobile battery had perished. I was continuously waving my hands to halt the taxi or auto-rickshaw. The empty ones were either pre-booked or denied to go to my hotel location and the rest were full.

I was bawling my eyes out on the road when this lady in a white T-shirt appeared from the adjacent building. She had one pre-booked auto-rickshaw waiting for her. She looked at me and genuinely asked whether I wanted a ride? I was kind of fearful at first but the offer was the need-of-the-hour as I had a flight to catch, so I gave the affirmative reply. She happily agreed to give me a lift. I was petrified of unknown roads and was busy looking at road signs that I never asked her name.

After reaching my destination, I requested her to let me pay for the taxi, she casually said “Money? I am paying!”

And I was so baffled because I never had an experience like this one. An experience I certainly will remember forever and readily extend to others who need it.

Stranger if you ever read this post, I am grateful for that day when you helped a scared girl. Thank you. I am forever indebted to your kindness.

 

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. 🙏

      Thank you for being a constant reader of the blog sir. Keep reading.

      Delete
  2. Sometime we encounter unexpectedly with strangers and that becomes eternal memory ...!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Such experience makes us realize that being kind to others is not a hard task.

      Thank you for the read. Keep checking the blog.

      Delete

  3. I marvel at what more a person does knowing their chapter is over such as working for humanity, dying while trying, assisting the needy, or be it be as simple as giving bed for oxygen. I believe mantra of being “grateful “ either to almighty or other earthlings is for life. End should be all about forgiveness/acceptance.
    Your experience is ideal, (safe to say one in 1000). Whatsoever, Let that deed not die and chain continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had asked me on that day...I was in a state of panic about taking a lift from an unknown person but I took that risk.
      And agree with your point of acceptance and forgiveness.

      Thank you for taking out time to read the post and write such a meaningful comment.

      Delete
  4. Dear Ekta,
    The incident and it's life long impact on an individual is heart touching and very true and practical.

    But what actually caught my attention are the words :

    Our minuscule and uncertain tenure on earth.

    Once this awareness of truth is known to any person, I am sure nothing else matters.

    Clinging on to the materialistic things reduces the scope of larger good hidden behind the act, which is not visible instantaneously.

    It's amply clear when the lady said to you , Money? I will pay

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for spending time on reading and analysis of post.
      You motivate me to keep writing and sharing my thoughts 🙏👍

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks. Keep reading. And keep sharing

Popular posts from this blog

Who is She?

One Month

Self-Story 2023