Book Review- The Echo of Old Books by Barbara Davis

 


For readers of my blog, you already know how much I love books that revolve around books themselves. There is a kind of magic that I feel about such books. This week’s book was a happy, almost accidental discovery through Amazon’s recommendations. I was glad for such happenstance and a fulfilling end.

The book is an absolute jam.

The story revolves around three main characters: Ashlyn, Hemi, and Belle.

Without delving into details of the story, Ashlyn Greer, a rare book dealer and owner of the shop “An Unlikely Story”, finds two unpublished, custom-bound volumes from the 1940s written by anonymous authors named ‘Hemi’ (book titled Regretting Belle) and ‘Belle’ (writer of book titled Forever and Other Lies), each telling a different version of their tragic love story, which took place in New York City. Determined to learn the truth behind the doomed lovers’ tale, she reads on, following a trail of broken promises and seemingly unforgivable betrayals. The more Ashlyn learns about Hemi and Belle, the nearer she comes to bringing closure to their love story—and to the unfinished chapters of her own life.

I recommend this book for those who have hope in life, who pray for some magical intervention and who are believe in second chances.

Quotes from the book-


“Books are feelings”

"..rough exterior often masks something quite fine, while a sheen of respectability frequently disguises the opposite.”

“It’s never stupid to be brave.”

"In the happiest times of my life, I have reached for my books. In the saddest times of my life, my books have reached back."

"The number of lives we are capable of living is limited only by the number of books we choose to read."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fly High (Small Story)

A New Year "Old" Thought

Learning respect (Advice to my kids)